Advertising giant Saatchi & Saatchi has partnered with the BMG Foundation to create the “Our Water, Our Life” conservation initiative in Saudi Arabia, a region whose freshwater resources are dwindling (as they are in much of the world). According to an April 26 story in the English-language daily ArabNews.com, BMG Foundation Chairman Basil Al-Ghalayini said the initiative is meant to encourage sustainable usage among Saudis and other Arabs. The “Our Water, Our Life” campaign, however, contains elements that are relevant to all global citizens.
A key component to “Our Water, Our Life” is a very groovy interactive website that enlightens on many aspects of water conservation and management. Did you know that:
- the amount of water you use in a 20-minute shower is equal to the amount of water available to a poor person in a developing country for 40 days?
- more people in the world have mobile phones than have access to toilets for sanitation?
- the poor pay more and get less for water?
- in the future, many say, wars will be fought over water, not oil?
- you can save 70 liters a day by fixing a leaky faucet?
- you can save 6 liters per minute if you turn the water off while washing dishes?
In particular, I highly recommend the haunting “Our Water, Our Life” video above–five and a half minutes to enlightenment about the critical role water plays in our lives and what is happening to this most precious essential resource. Please take the time to watch it. You will be surprised.
To read the original ArabNews.com story about the “Our Water, Our Life” campaign, click here.